Friday, April 03, 2020

Improving Style Through Syntax, Part 5: Remedying Run-ons

People often mistake a long sentence for a run-on sentence. A long sentence is syntactically sound, a widely accepted tool writers use for various reasons, among them drama and flow. An example of a properly formed 90-word sentence comes from “To Be Baptized” in No Name in the Street (referenced from James Baldwin’s Collected Essays (pages 408-9):
In that time, now so incredibly far behind us, when the Black Muslims meant to the American people exactly what the Black Panthers mean today, and when they were described in exactly the same terms by that high priest, J. Edgar Hoover, and when many of us believed or made ourselves believe that the American state still contained within itself the power of self-confrontation, the power to change itself in the direction of honor and knowledge and freedom, or, as Malcolm put it, “to atone,” I first met Malcolm X. 
You can argue all you want about whether the sentence is good or bad (I think it's great), but my point is that Baldwin packs his clauses and phrases in such a way that they hold up to form a grammatically correct sentence.

On the other hand, the next three examples are run-on sentences, considered incorrect since the two independent clauses are not joined or separated properly:
1. Please call me later I'm charging my phone.
To avoid the run-on, place a period or semicolon after later, or, better. show the cause and effect: Please call me later because I'm charging my phone. 
2. I was born in Weehawken I was raised in Manhattan.
Again, a period or semicolon after Weehawken would work, but preferable would be the more fluent I was born in Weehawken and raised in Manhattan
3. I met with Tom this morning he said he wants to meet you.
While a period or semicolon after morning would correct the run-on, the more concise edit of these 13 words would be the 9-word This morning Tom said he wants to meet you.

Reading aloud will usually work in correcting run-ons. Where you hear yourself pausing, place the appropriate punctuation mark.


***
Read previous posts in this series:
Part 1: Grouping and Dropping Prepositional Phrases
Part 2: Dropping Pronouns for Clarity
Part 3: Dropping Pronouns for Conciseness

Part 4: Avoiding—No, Managing—the Comma Splice