Friday, March 27, 2020

Improving Style Through Syntax, Part 4: Avoiding—No, Managing—the Comma Splice

A comma splice uses a comma without a connecting word to join two independent clauses. Most style guidebooks consider it an error, including The Basics: A Rhetoric and Handbook, fourth edition, by Santi V. Buscemi, Albert H. Nicolai, and Richard Strugala (page 368); English Composition and Grammar: Complete Course, benchmark edition, by John E, Warriner (page 342); and Random House Handbook, sixth edition by Frederick Crews (page 400).

Yet we see comma splices in so many sources that rhetoricians consider to be standards of literary excellence. To avoid overstating the case, I'll give just two of many examples:

From "Closed" in the March 21, 2020 issue of The Economist  (page 9): 
Mitigation curbs the pandemic, suppression aims to stop it in its tracks.
Inflexible grammarians would assert that the proper way to separate those two independent clauses is not by a comma but by a period or a semicolon, or to join them by following the comma with but. Yet the two ideas flow well while maintaining clarity with the "improper" comma.

From William Styron's essay "A Second Flowering" in This Quiet Dust and Other Writings (page 86):
These are not thrice-told tales, they seem by now to be so numbingly familiar as to be almost personaltedious old gossip having to do with some fondly regarded but too often outrageous kinfolk.
I would be quick to agree with those who would prefer a period instead of a comma after tales. Nevertheless, Styron's choice of the comma is innocuous; in fact, it helps move along his point a bit quicker.

If you have taken one of my classes in which I explained the comma splice as a technical mistake, you might find me hypocritical to defend the two examples of comma splices here. I could arrogantly say that once you write as well as the editors of The Economist or William Styron, you could do what you want—but I won't. All I'll say is consider alternatives when choosing a comma splice. Below are four examples of writing I have reviewed where the alternatives are better than the comma splices.
1. Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it. 
This is a redundancy. The improved alternative is either Thank you for your help or I greatly appreciate your help.
2. I'll send the package today, you should receive it by Monday.
While not a redundancy, this comma splice fails to get to the point. The improved alternative is either You should receive my package by Monday or The package I'll send today should arrive by Monday.
3. Do you teach presentation skills, my team could use such training.
Since when did the question mark fall out of favor? I frequently see such examples in email. The improved alternative is Do you teach presentation skills? My team could use such training. Or Can you teach presentation skills to my team?
4. You might find discrepancies, include them in your report.
This comma splice is too process-oriented and not results-oriented. An improved alternative is either If you find discrepancies, include them in your report or Include in your report any discrepancies.

But if a comma splice seems like a strong choice for impact or variety, then use it, and use it sparingly.


***
Read previous posts in this series:
Part 1: Grouping and Dropping Prepositional Phrases
Part 2: Dropping Pronouns for Clarity
Part 3: Dropping Pronouns for Conciseness