Friday, August 02, 2019

Twenty-third Anniversary for Philip Vassallo, Ed.D.

On August 2, 1996, I quit my secure job of 19 years at a nonprofit agency after giving a one-month notice to start my own communication consulting business. I had a mortgage to pay, college bills ahead with a daughter in high school and another in middle school, my own continuing educational bills as a doctoral candidate, two car payments, and no guaranteed income. Discounting my decision to marry and to become a father, creating my own business was the best life choice I have ever made. 

I knew that half of small businesses fail within five years, and I was humble enough to realize that the business world was not waiting for me. But the decision was not a rash one. I resolved to quit my job (I put it in writing) seven years before I actually made the bold move. My willingness to work hard was a huge factor, for sure, yet I took many small steps while I still had a job. I enrolled in a doctoral program to enhance my credentials. I researched the sorts of industries and businesses that required my skills. I offered my services, sometimes for free, to consulting businesses similar to the one I wanted to run. I spoke to people who were where I wanted to be. Most important, I had the support of my wife, a schoolteacher who knew how much this dream meant to me.

Twenty-three years later, the business is doing fine, and I am doing precisely what I want to do. The work hours are long, but I enjoy the occasion to learn that those hours bring. Clients can be demanding, which makes the reward of fulfilling their requirements even greater. The industry is constantly changing, affording me the continual opportunity for professional development. The income is not guaranteed, but I did well enough to get my daughters through colleges I would not have been able to afford had I stayed at my job. I strongly recommend taking a chance on yourself if the desire is there.