- task: a piece of work assigned to the employee; an employee’s job requirement
- standard: a quantitative or qualitative level serving as the basis for measuring a task
Keep in mind that a task should describe a piece of work, and a standard a level of quantity or quality. In other words, the task or standard should have a high PRICE: precise, reachable, important, cohesive, and exclusive:
- Precise—It should accurately describe the expected behavior or standard.
- Reachable—It should reflect reasonable and achievable expectations.
- Important—It should link to the company’s stated goals and the employee’s actual work.
- Cohesive—It should correspond to the performance domain being reviewed.
- Exclusive—It should not repeat other tasks or standards.
To purchase your copy of The Art of On-the-Job Writing by Philip Vassallo, click here: http://firstbooks.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=144