Saturday, January 21, 2006

Could You "Not Care Less" or "Care Less"?

I just had to follow the previous post (try and vs. try to) with a look at a commonly heard careless expression: When declaring disdain about someone or something, some people say, “I couldn’t care less” while others say, “I could care less.” Which is right?

In both cases, the speakers mean “I couldn’t care less.” If we could care less, then maybe we care at least a little, right?

On the other hand, if you care more and have a question about expressing yourself properly, send it to me at vassallo@aol.com. I may post your name and question with my response on this blog, and I will definitely write back to you directly.


To purchase your copy of The Art of On-the-Job Writing by Philip Vassallo, click here: http://firstbooks.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=144