Tuesday, January 04, 2005

WORDS ON THE LINE Article Receives Praise from Students

Here's a thank you to the two students who found one of my WORDS ON THE LINE essays helpful enough to post positive commentary about it on their blog. They appear below.

From garvey0.blogspot.com


Saturday, September 27, 2003

Critique of article written by Philip Vassallo
Vassallo, Philip. "Writing correctly is Not Necessarily Writing Well." Summer 2003. ETC.: A Review of General Semantics. 24 September 2003.

I reviewed an article recently written by Philip Vassallo titled "Writing Correctly is Not Necessarily Writing Well" and I feel the article had a lot of good ideas. Some people have a talent when writing papers which allows them to "fluff up" a paper but after reading the paper there may not be any pertinent information or idea in the whole paper. As stated in the article, grammar is important but if the words do not effectively keep one's attention or the author does not stick to the point then is this really a good paper written well. I agree that more emphasis should be put on the content and structure and when judging a paper this should have more weight then grammar. Just because you know where to put your period doesn't mean you have any worthwhile to say.


From phillips-blog.blogspot.com


Monday, September 29, 2003

Philip Vassallo discusses in his article titled ”Writing Correctly Is Not Necessarily Writing Well” that how we use our words is far more important than the “grammatical correctness”(186). To me this means that I need to be careful that I talk about the topic without using words that do nothing but take up space. I also need to be careful when making comparisons. I need to make sure that the things I am comparing are proportionate to one another. The last detail is that I need to be able to back up my statements. The sources that I use need to be based on truthful facts and that the author on the facts is an authority on the subject. As long as I follow this rules, my essays will be both grammatically correct and will give the reader a more enjoyable experience.