Monday, January 30, 2023

Past or Present Perfect?

Here is favorite trick question I like to ask people in my writing classes: 

If you were writing to your manager about completing an assigned task, which is sentence correct: I completed the task or I have completed the task

The answer: Both are correct. It depends on the impression you want to give your manager. Let me explain why I prefer I have completed the task

The first sentence, I completed the task, is in the simple past tense, indicating a past action; the second sentence, I have completed the task, is in the present perfect, indicating an action started in the past and just completed. I would want my manager to know that I haven't wasted a moment from the time of completing the task to the time of alerting her about it. That's the value of the present perfect: its immediacy. 

Think of the importance of reporting to management in the present perfect tense in these cases:

  • I have started the investigation.
  • You have used an expired password.
  • The client has contacted me about her concern.
In all three cases, you do not want management to think you're wasting time in updating them about the issue at hand. So use the present perfect to express that urgency.