Monday, May 16, 2022

Defaulting to "I Can"

I offer a simple yet transformative piece of advice: Default to I can.

Too often at work, we read people write about what they cannot do, even if they are our vendors:

Question 1: Will you help me on Monday?

Answer 1: I can't.

Question 2: Do you wax floors?

Answer 2: We can't.

Question 3: Would you provide a discount for my $2,000 order?

Answer 3: XYZ, Inc. can't.

I continually suggest to never put these words anywhere near each other: I (or we, or My company) and can't. We are all in the can, not can't, business. Use the more positive can, even when you can't. Here are easy fixes to the three can't-do sentences.

Question 1: Will you help me on Monday?

Answer 1: I can help you on Tuesday.

Question 2: Do you wax floors?

Answer 2: We can wax floors at an additional cost, or, We can mop floors more frequently to avoid their need of an expensive waxing. 

Question 3: Would you provide a discount for my $2,000 order?

Answer 3: XYZ, Inc. provides discounts for orders over $10,000.

That's not too much effort, is it? Of course, sometimes people will insist that you do something you just can't. In these cases, you'll have to clearly say, "I can't." But at least you tried the better approach the first time around.

The benefits of defaulting to I can will be legion. People will see you as cooperative, helpful, and positive.