Sunday, November 27, 2016

Things Writers Do, Part 4: Write Now

"One of these days, I'll write."

"I can't write in these conditions."

"I wish I had more time to write."

"I need to be in the right mood to write."

"How can I write with a full-time job and a family?"

"My partner doesn't give me the chance to write."

Writers do not have the luxury of saying such things. They do not make excuses. They just write. It really is that simple. They write now, always, because writing is what they do, like birds fly, fish swim, and cheetahs run. Like putting one foot in front of another when walking, they write one word after another. After a day, they have a couple hundred words, after a week, a short story or essay, after a month the beginnings of a collection, after a quarter a short book, and after a half-yea a full-length book.