Sunday, January 04, 2015

WORDS ON THE LINE Celebrates a Decade

This post marks the 611th of WORDS ON THE LINE, precisely 10 years after I wrote the first one. Anyone who knows me would say that I stick things out, but I did not imagine when I started WORDS ON THE LINE that I would be blogging for as long as I have. I thought it might have a chance to outlive the gestation period of an elephant (1.8 years), but it has now outlived the average American marriage (8 years).

I can truly say that this blog was the beginning of my growing into an international consultant. For nearly 19 years after graduating from college, I taught and evaluated writing part time in corporate, government, and academic environments. In 1996, I jumped into communication consulting full time when I quit my job as a marketing director for a nonprofit agency and started my own business. During the next few years, I wrote numerous articles for the Institute of General Semantics the National Council of Teachers of English, the Star-Ledger, and started work on my instructional books The Art of On-the-Job Writing, The Art of E-mail Writing, and How to Write Fast Under Pressure. But it wasn't until around the time I began the WORDS ON THE LINE blog that I was traveling throughout the United States, India, China, and Malta on business. My webinars for several organizations are expanding their reach, and I am fielding questions about writing and assessing documents from the farthest reaches of the planet. 

Expect more of the same from WORDS ON THE LINE.