A quick, easy, and inexpensive way to learn about writing these days is through webinars. I have designed and delivered synchronous and asynchronous online writing courses, webinars, or coaching programs for eight companies, which have made the content available only to their staff. But 14 of my one- to two-hour webinars and 4 live online courses for six other firms are online, all for free or at reasonable prices.
American Management Association (2 webinars, 4 live courses):
- How to Write a Darn Good Email – Target your audience, get to the point, and develop a professional email style.
- How to Write Fast When It's Due Yesterday – Manage high-pressure writing situations in all kinds of environments under tight time pressure.
- Business Writing Workshop – Streamline your writing process by focusing on what to write and how to write.
- Effective Technical Writing – Recognize audience needs, organize information, and craft succinct summaries.
- Business Grammar Workshop – Use the standard rules of grammar as well as the exceptions that business dictates.
- Writing for the Web – Write online content, including marketing emails, website pages, blog posts, and tweets.
InfoComm International (2 webinars):
- Writing an Effective and Efficient Email – Master the unique challenges of email by composing reader-centered messages and creating a professional tone.
- Technical Writing Essentials – Convey your expertise through purposeful content and a strong style to reach expert and non-expert audiences.
- Business Writing for Financial Professionals – Determine the appropriate level of detail, structure content for easy reader access, and heighten the relevance of facts.
- Quality Writing for Technical Professionals (premieres March 11, 2014) – Strike a balance between conveying complex data to subject-matter experts and less technical readers.
- Report Writing for Auditing Professionals (premieres April 23, 2014) – Present criteria, conditions, causes, and effects with authority.
- Writing Effective and Efficient Email – Recognize five common email problems and identify the standards of an excellent email.
- Audit Report Writing – Create department-specific templates, cultivate a clear and concise vocabulary, and use syntax and diction tips.
- Writing for Engineers – Determine content and style for diverse audiences, standardize documentation tasks, and summarize effectively.
- Financial Business Writing – Organize messages with a practical structure, link key business points with logical transitions, and cultivate a fluent style.
- Emails: Writing Them Right – Employ a strategy for writing email effectively.
- Audit Report Writing (premieres July 14, 2014) –Employ a vast toolbox of techniques when noting observations, drafting objective workpapers, and composing structured, comprehensive, and fluent audit reports.
Center for Competitive Management (1 webinar)
- Writing Effective Email: Mastering Today's Number One Tool for Business Communication – Craft clear, concise, actionable emails for business success.