Monday, July 26, 2021

What a Word! Part 4: Aggressive

Continuing with the theme of word meaning depends on context, I recall two people in one of my classes, Bob and Eve, getting aggressive over the use of an aggressive tone. Bob said that as a salesperson he never wants to use an aggressive tone, as it would put off his clients. Eve disagreed, saying that as a manager facing multiple deadlines, she needs to write with an aggressive tone at times.  

Seeing the argument at an impasse, I said, "Let's look up aggressive. Maybe you're both right." Using Dictionary.com, I read the first definition: "characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offenses, attacks, invasions, or the like; militantly forward or menacing." So Bob was indisputably correct. Then I read the second definition: "Making an all-out effort to win or succeed; competitive." Now Eve was undeniably on target. 

Be careful when framing the context for using aggressive, as you would not want an aggressive response.