Friday, January 18, 2013

Is It "Me," "Myself," or "I"?




READER QUESTION

Which of the following sentences is correct?
The contract was signed by Lee, Sam, and me.
The contract was signed by Lee, Sam, and myself.
The contract was signed by Lee, Sam, and I.

MY RESPONSE

Try the test of removing the other names from the sentence to determine which pronoun sounds right:

The contract was signed by me.
The contract was signed by myself.
The contract was signed by I.

For sure, me sounds best, so the correct answer is The contract was signed by Lee, Sam, and me.


Let’s try another sentence: Lee, Sam and I signed the contract. 

In this case, I signed the contract sounds better than Me signed the contract or Myself signed the contract. Therefore, Lee, Sam, and I signed the contract is correct.