Monday, December 26, 2005

Employment Application Process, Phase 5: Follow-up

The final phase of the employment application process is follow-up. During this phase, you prepare follow-up messages, maintain a filing system, and keep the faith. Seven tips on following-up appear in this installment of WORDS ON THE LINE.


Prepare Follow-up Messages

Follow-up messages fall into four categories:
  • a thank-you message, to express appreciation of the interviewer and interest in the position
  • a reminder message, to remind the reader of your interest and to update the reader on yourself
  • an acceptance message, to accept an offered position
  • a rejection message, to decline an offered position
Below are two suggestions for composing and sending these messages.

1. Keep the message brief. The purpose of these messages is nothing more than to keep yourself in the employer’s memory. Below are samples of each.

SAMPLE THANK-YOU MESSAGE

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for the informative and enjoyable interview in your office yesterday. Please extend my appreciation to Ms. Cassidy as well.

I came away from our meeting impressed with The Working Foundation’s philosophy and achievements in effecting public policy. I would be honored to be a part of your organization and welcome the opportunity to become a contributor to its success.

If you have further questions, please call me.

Sincerely,
Anna Vassallo


SAMPLE REMINDER MESSAGE


Dear Mr. Thomas,

As promised, I am following up on our last conversation, when you suggested that I contact you to inquire about the planned expansion of your research staff. I remain interested in a position at the Foundation.

If any position opens for which you believe I am suitable, please contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Anna Vassallo


SAMPLE ACCEPTANCE MESSAGE


Dear Mr. Thomas,

I am pleased to accept The Working Foundation’s offer of employment, as detailed in your March 12 letter.

As we agreed, I will begin my duties as an administrative assistant on April 3, after my two-week notification period with my present employer lapses. I look forward to meeting my new colleagues and working with a fine organization.

Sincerely,
Anna Vassallo


SAMPLE REJECTION MESSAGE

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for your generous offer of employment with The Working Foundation. I have carefully considered your offer, and my decision was a difficult one. I have decided to accept a position with another agency.

I appreciate the professional courtesy that you extended to me throughout the selection process, and I extend my best wishes to you and The Working Foundation in your important work.

Sincerely,
Anna Vassallo



2. Send the messages by the most suitable means. Traditionally, these messages were transmitted by postal mail, but today most of them take the form of e-mail. Use your best judgment in deciding which transmission best suits the situation.


Maintain a Filing System

3. Keep a record of all employment-related activities. This practice includes all received and ititiated letters, e-mails, and phone calls as well as interviews.

4. Keep notes of your daily reading of newspapers, magazines, books, and websites in your field of interest. In this way, you keep abreast of the breaking industry developments and transform into a subject-matter expert.

5. Update your résumé periodically. Continue tailoring it to your field of interest.


Keep the Faith

6. Believe in yourself. Enjoy and learn from the job-seeking process. Keep your eye on the prize of getting the job you want by making things happen, and reward yourself for your effort in any small but meaningful way you can.

7. Believe in others. Keep professional contacts, attend professional events and interviews, and get whatever training and management tools you can to enhance your employability.


To purchase your copy of The Art of On-the-Job Writing by Philip Vassallo, click here: http://firstbooks.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=144