I asked Google Gemini, "Write a blog post for WORDS ON THE LINE by Philip Vassallo." In less than five seconds, it replied, "Here is a draft for a new blog post tailored to the tone and philosophy of your blog." After the line break below, I have left intact the formatting and paragraphing, and I have not changed a word or punctuation mark of this post, including the title.
I have done this thought experiment for three reasons: First, I was curious about AI'sselection of content. Here I would give it a C because I have discussed the points it mentions in so many words repeatedly over the past 22 years of writing WORDS ON THE LINE. Second, I was interested in seeing how close AI comes to imitating my sense of structure (I would give it an A, as I have been teaching this organization strategy for decades) and my approach to style (here it gets a B since I would be more concise). Third, and most important, I wanted to know if AI could add value to WORDS ON THE LINE for my readers. To this point, I am undecided. To be continued.
We live in an era captivated by immediacy. With generative tools capable of churning out clean paragraphs in a matter of seconds, the traditional friction of writing—the staring at a blank page, the crossing out of words, the searching for the precise phrase—can feel like an unnecessary burden.
But fluent language is not the same as refined thought.
When we outsource the initial struggle of composition to an algorithm or rush to accept the very first draft that appears on our screens, we bypass a crucial stage of intellectual development. True clarity in writing does not emerge from a seamless assembly line. It comes from the pauses. It comes from the intentional moments where we step back from the keyboard and allow our own minds to wrestle with an idea.
Whether you are drafting a critical corporate memo, polishing an academic essay, or writing a personal letter, the most valuable tool at your disposal isn’t a digital assistant—it is your own capacity for deep reflection.
To keep your human voice sharp, try incorporating these three practice points into your routine:
1. Draft First, Consult Later
Before reaching for an AI shortcut or a digital template, force yourself to write down your core argument using only your current knowledge and vocabulary. Let the sentences be messy. The act of extracting an idea directly from your mind strengthens your abstract thinking muscles.
2. Embrace the "Glance Test"
Once your thoughts are on paper, step away. Read your work not just for grammatical correctness, but for human impact. Does it sound like an authentic voice, or does it sound like a generic compilation of corporate jargon? If you cannot feel the underlying human intent behind a paragraph, your audience won't either.
3. Welcome the Friction
Learning and clear expression are supposed to be hard. When you encounter a sentence that refuses to click into place, don't rush to automate a fix. Sit with the difficulty. It is precisely during those moments of stylistic struggle that we discover what we actually mean to say.