Monday, April 10, 2023

Riffing on Resumes, Part 10: Education

The education section of a resume matters because so many jobs require a degree, license, or both regardless of work experience. Following the theme of the previous post on professional experience, this part in the series answers seven commonly asked questions.

1. If I just graduated from college, should I include my high school information? No, unless you attained precocious achievements there such as first place for a national magazine essay challenge, a gold medal in an international secondary school vocal competition, or most valuable player in a statewide athletic tournament.

2. Do I have to date my educational degrees? Of course. The legendary economist Thomas Sowell doesand he's 92! You don't have to worry about aging yourself. This is an employee's market. 

3. What if I have not yet attained the degree? Say so. Writing something like this:

B.A. Economics, City University of New York, 2024. 

4. Should I include academic distinctions? Yes. Never shy from mentioning  achievements (e.g., cum laudein a resume, as they may give you a slight edge over your competition.

5. Should I include licenses? Yes, as long as they are relevant to the position you are seeking.  

6. Should I include certifications from general training classes? No, unless they are job requirements such as project management certification.

7. Should I include military certifications and citations? 100 percent! American companies and government agencies are committed to hiring veterans, and many give them preferential treatment. But veterans too must compete for a job. Show that you used your time productively in the service. Those certifications and honors interest those employers who have not served and connect you to those who have.

Remember: honesty first!